One of the main aims of this newsletter is to keep you updated of everything that is going on in the current education recruitment market. We hope that this, in turn, will help you to maximize your recruitment efforts and stay on top of current trends.
Jobsgopublic White Paper
The challenges faced in school recruitment are shared across every institution throughout the UK. No matter the success of a school, without effective recruitment in place their future is never secure. This is especially true in today’s climate in which teacher recruitment is possibly more challenging than it has ever been.
Jobsgopublic have put together a brand new white paper which outlines the challenges faced and offers our advice on tackling these challenges head on, ensuring that your messages are getting to the right people and that you have the right processes in place to secure those all-important applications.
Teacher recruitment news
Recruitment can feel like a lonely place at times, especially when you’re struggling to find the right candidates. We recently attended the LGA Conference on 10th June, at which the DfE were present, their presentation highlighted the challenges that currently exist in the market and we can tell you that you are most definitely not alone. Here are a few of the challenges that appear to be shared across the sector:
• In London the demand for primary teachers continues to rise, despite levelling out in other areas of the country
• The demand for secondary teachers continues to grow across the country and this demand will accelerate over the next few years
• The teaching profession has less part time working than other industries. The DfE are urging schools to consider part time working as an option to retain teachers or attract returners
• The growth in GDP continues to present challenges in recruiting teachers to the profession, with secondary subjects being hardest to fill. A 1% growth in GDP results in a 5-6% decrease in secondary applications
Using our expertise in targeted advertising, we wanted to put something together to help. Teachers are still out there, they’re just harder to find. We have devised an advertising package to help you ensure that you’re getting the right message to the right people.
Teachers Pay and Conditions
The STRB 26th report has been released and paid particular attention to the current teacher recruitment challenges. Schools can now offer new recruitment incentives, if you choose to offer these be sure to promote these in your job adverts.
Here is a brief overview of the recommendations:
• 1% uplift to the minima and maxima of all classroom teacher pay ranges and leadership pay ranges in the national pay framework, and to classroom teacher allowances (TLRs and SEN)
• No change to the STPCD in relation to non-consolidated payments
• On ‘stepping down’ – no change to the provisions in the STPCD on arrangements for upper pay range teachers
• Recommend that the Department include a section in the statutory guidance making it clear that a salary advance scheme for rental deposit is one of a number of tools that schools might consider for aiding recruitment or retention, and provide detailed advice on the implementation of such schemes on the DfE web pages
Legislation and Guidance Updates for Schools
As you may well be aware, there have been significant changes to what is required of schools in terms of their data protection.
The DfE recently reissued departmental advice making it a requirement for schools to ensure suppliers of data solutions comply.
This is a reminder that Jobsgopublic work in accordance with the principles within this document and comply with the Data Protection Act. Schools can be assured that using our Applicant Tracking System, applicant data is stored securely and in accordance with the Act and there is no need for transfer of personal information over email systems.
Equality Act 2010
Using our online application form allows for diversity information to be recorded but not revealed to the recruiting manager. Processing applications online can help protect the school against challenges on the grounds of discrimination.
With the rise of Multi Academy Trusts, employer liabilities around equalities legislation are increased. Our system can support the Trust to record and process applicant data in accordance with their responsibilities.
The “Keeping Children Safe in Education’ has been revised and will come into force from September 2016. The revised guidance can be found here. A key update is the requirement for Governors to have an Enhanced DBS check. If any school is placing an advert with us, for a governor, the requirement for an Enhanced DBS will be stated in the advert.
Safer recruitment is obviously of huge importance, with the potential implications for those who don’t adhere to safer recruitment being incredibly significant.
Our in-house safer recruitment experts offer comprehensive training that will help you ensure that every aspect of your recruitment adheres to all requirements.
Wishing you all a relaxing summer break